March 3, 2017

Mass graves of babies and young children found in Ireland

This is a very disturbing story, but hats off to local historian Catherine Corliss whose work lead to an inquiry and the discovery of the mass graves.

Mass graves are found in disused sewers at a former Catholic home for unmarried mothers in Ireland

A mass grave containing the remains of babies and young children has been discovered at a former Catholic home for unmarried mothers and their children in Ireland, an official report revealed today.The remains were found in a disused sewer during excavations at the Bon Secours Mother and Baby Home in Tuam, County Galway. The ages of the dead ranged from 35 foetal weeks to three years old and were mostly buried in the 1950s.

The inquiry was launched after local historian Catherine Corless said there was evidence of an unmarked graveyard at the home, where records showed almost 800 children died between 1925 and 1961. However, there was a burial record for just one child....Ms Corless also revealed that nine mothers died in the home during its existence. Burial records only existed for four of the women. 
--
The inquiry was established to investigate 14 mother and baby homes where unmarried mothers and their babies were placed in order to avoid the social stigma in what was then a deeply Catholic country. The Commission said it was shocked by the discovery and is continuing its investigation into who was responsible for the disposal of human remains in this way. The mother and baby home era is one of the last dark secrets of Catholic run Ireland.

The government's commissioner for children, Katherine Zappone said: 'It was not unexpected as there were claims about human remains on the site over the last number of years.  'Up to now we had rumours. Now we have confirmation that the remains are there and that they date back to the time of the mother-and-baby home, which operated in Tuam from 1925 to 1961.
--
The Bon Secours Sisters order of nuns, which ran the home until its closure, said in a statement that all its records, including of potential burials, had been handed to state authorities in 1961.

May all these poor babies be properly buried and rest in peace.

UPDATE: Bill Donohue comments on why Ireland’s “mass grave” story is a hoax

Posted by Jill Fallon at March 3, 2017 9:04 PM | Permalink